Comparison of the first and second buildings at Music Vale Seminary

Title

Comparison of the first and second buildings at Music Vale Seminary

Subject

Top image: Music Vale Seminary building as opened in 1835.
Bottom image: Music Vale Seminary building after being rebuilt in 1868.

Description

The top image is the Music Vale Seminary as it looked upon its opening in 1835.
In January 1868, a special-effects display during a performance resulted in a fire. To create thunder, Oramel rolled cannon balls along the back of the state. To create lightning he set out pans of gun powder and ignited them. This particular night, the lightning special effects went out of control, and the fire destroyed the school.
The bottom image is the Music Vale Seminary after it had been rebuilt in 1868.

Creator

[no text]

Source

Music Vale Seminary Archives

Publisher

[no text]

Date

1835-1868

Contributor

[no text]

Rights

Salem Historical Society

Relation

[no text]

Format

[no text]

Language

[no text]

Type

[no text]

Identifier

[no text]

Coverage

[no text]

Original Format

[no text]

Physical Dimensions

[no text]

Files

IMG_0939.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Comparison of the first and second buildings at Music Vale Seminary,” Music Vale Seminary the Normal Academy of Music: Salem, Connecticut, accessed December 19, 2018, https://musicvaleseminary.omeka.net/items/show/8.